Skip to main content

General Info on Work Permits

An employer who intends to hire a foreign national from a country outside of the EEA or EFTA must apply for and already have received a work permit before the foreign national can start working. Note that it is the prospective employer who must submit the application and not the prospective employee. Also note that a work permit alone does not include the right to reside in Iceland. In most cases, a separate residence permit must also be obtained from the Directorate of Immigration. See Application Process below.

Application Process

Applications for work permits must be submitted by the prospective employer, including the necessary supporting documentation, to the Directorate of Immigration. If the Directorate of Immigration finds that the conditions for issuing the foreign national a residence permit are met, then the application is forwarded to the Directorate of Labor to process the work permit.

Foreign Nationals from the EEA/EFTA

If a foreigner national is from a country within the EEA/EFTA then it is not necessary to apply for a work permit. Depending on the amount of time you spend in Iceland, however, you might need to register your stay with Registers Iceland and obtain a national ID number, which is also accomplished at Registers Iceland. Note that rules for registering your stay vary between Nordic nationals and other EEA/EFTA foreign nationals. See more on this at Registers Iceland.

Directorate of Immigration
Dalvegi 18
201 Kópvogur
Tel: (+354) 444-0900

Directorate of Labour 
Kringlunni 1
150 Reykjavík
Tel.: (+354) 515-4800
Fax: (+354) 511-2520

Registers Iceland
Borgartúni 21, 105 Reykjavík
Hafnarstræti 107, 600 Akureyri
Tel.: (+354) 515 5300
Fax: (+354) 515 5300

Laws & Regulations