Skip to main content

Immigrating to Iceland

Registration of Non-EEA/EFTA Family Members of EEA/EFTA Foreign Nationals (Residence Cards)

Registration for a Residence Card

Residence cards are issued in circumstances when EEA/EFTA foreign nationals have registered their residence in Iceland with Registers Iceland and they want to sponsor their immediate family members from outside the EEA/EFTA for residence in Iceland. Those immediate family members can be registered by the submitting the form below to the Directorate of Immigration and they will receive a residence card provided they satisfy the requirements. The residence card is valid for as long as the sponsoring EEA/EFTA family member is resident in Iceland up to five years.

For the purposes of the residence card, immediate family members of the EEA/EFTA foreign national include the following:

  • spouse or cohabiting partner

  • descendants, i.e., children or grandchildren, of the EEA/EFTA foreign national or their spouse, who are under the age of 21 or are dependents

  • Dependent direct relatives in the ascending line and those of the spouse or cohabiting partner (i.e., parents and grandparents)

Registration for a Residence Card