Skip to main content

General Info on Residence Permits

The Icelandic Directorate of Immigration is responsible for issuing residence permits, both temporary and permanent residence permits as well as residence cards. Applications for these permits, along with any documentation, must be submitted to the directorate or the regional district commissioners office. There are several different types of residence permits. For detailed eligibility requirements and supporting documentation for the various permits, please see the website for the Directorate of Immigration.

Many foreign nationals need a residence permit to establish a legal domicile in Iceland, which allows access to a number of rights and privileges in the country.

Please note: a residence permit does not necessarily include the right to work. Many foreign nationals with residence permits still require a work permit to work in Iceland.

Who Needs a Residence Permit?

Foreign nationals, other than EEA/EFTA nationals, who plan to stay in Iceland for more than three months, must apply for a residence permit at the Directorate of Immigration.

Citizens of EEA/EFTA states do not need a residence permit. They must register their right to stay in Iceland with Registers Iceland.

If EEA/EFTA citizens with to bring with them family members from outside the EEA/EFTA, they sponsor them for a residence card through the Directorate of Immigration.

Applications and their accompanying documents must be submitted to or at the following address:

Directorate of Immigration 
Dalvegur 18
201 Kópavogur
Tel: (+354) 444-0900

Laws and Regulations